This variation on an ice cream cake tastes amazing. The roasted almonds and the Maraschino give it a warm, almost soothing flavour and it’s perfect for a dinner party where the dessert is made the day before so you can get on with other parts of the meal.
The only thing I’d say is beware the mould you use and make sure you can get the Mandulat out of the mould, in one piece. I used a simple mould and it did get stuck. This first attempt definitely needed teasing out with warm water and a knife. So I recommend if making this for the first time use a simple mould and then work your way up to more fancy moulds. And of course you can hide all the misshapen bits with the sugared almonds.
~ Four large egg yolks (use five if you have small eggs)
~ 40grams caster sugar
~ One tablespoon Maraschino
~ 40grams roasted ground almonds
~ 200grams thickened cream
~ One tablespoon vanilla extract
~ Ice water
- Place the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract and Maraschino into a large metal bowl and beat until the mixture is creamy. Set the metal bowl over a saucepan of hot water and continue beating for five minutes.
- Immediately place the metal bowl into ice cold water and continue beating until the egg mixture has cooled and thickened slightly.
- Add 40grams of ground, roasted almonds.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream and when strong peaks have formed, gently fold it into the egg mixture
- Place the mixture into a mould, either plastic or metal, and freeze overnight
- Remove from the mould and sprinkle with crushed sugared almonds to decorate.
Let me know if you tried this creamy frozen dessert and what you thought
Dobar Tek! Zivjeli! (Bon Appetit! Cheers and let’s live!)