Every time I make a Croatian fish or seafood dish it always feels like…this is the best one yet. And these heavenly calamari are in no way different.
They are easy to make with a few key ingredients and you can choose your method of cooking ie. bbq grill or oven. If you can, go with the bbq, that charcoal grilling really adds to the flavour. But, be warned, prepare this recipe only for people you want to impress because it really is…heavenly!
~ Two large calamari, cleaned
~ Eight green prawns, cleaned
~ 100 grams prosciutto, finely diced
~ 100 spinach or silverbeet leaves, finely diced
~ Three large cloves of garlic, crushed
~ Two tablespoons olive oil
~ 50 grams of breadcrumbs
~ Two toothpicks or skewers
- Chop the calamari tentacles and prawns into 5mm pieces, set aside.
- In a shallow fry pan, add the olive oil and garlic and fry for a couple of seconds. Add the calamari tentacles, prawns and prosciutto and fry on medium heat for about five minutes, or until cooked. Season with salt and pepper (because of the prosciutto you may not need much more salt)
- Add the silverbeet and cook further until leaves have wilted and most of the liquid has evaporated. Turn off the heat and add breadcrumbs. Thoroughly coat the breadcrumbs in the mixture until they have a wet consistency.
- Pat the calamari dry and stuff with the mixture, making sure to get it right into the ends of the calamari. Secure ends with a toothpick or skewer. Using a cooking brush, brush on some olive oil, coating both sides of the calamari.
- If using a bbq, grill for about five minutes on each side, turning and basting with olive oil, until skin is cooked. If using an oven, bake on a rack for 15 minutes, or until done, on 180°C (356°F). Serve hot.
Let me know if you tried these heavenly morsels and what you thought
Dobar Tek! Zivjeli! (Bon Appetit! Cheers and let’s live!)