Don’t ask me why but when I was younger, cauliflower in sour cream was always a treat. Mum would serve her sour cream cauliflower with a piece of roasted meat, potatoes and oh my, that cauliflower would always just melt in your mouth (we called it karfiol).
This recipe is from He Needs Food and I love it because it’s actually a full meal all in one baking dish! And the photos speak for themselves, the wonderful warm cream and cheese oozing out of the cauliflower and the crispy ham and breadcrumbs make this recipe absolutely delicious. And if you’re a vegetarian, just take out the meat.
Without further ado, here it is… karfiol sa kiselim vrhnjem!
- One large cauliflower, cut into 4-5cm florets
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (I used unsalted)
- Six tablespoons of sour cream
- One teaspoon of Vegeta (or plain salt, or celery salt )
- One teaspoon ground black pepper
- 50 grams of smoked pork loin or ham
- One and a half cups of cheddar cheese, grated
- One cup of dark rye bread crumbs (I just used normal breadcrumbs)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Steam the cauliflower florets for 10 minutes. Make sure you don’t overcook them, drain and arrange them tightly (flower side up) over a baking dish in a single layer. Don’t put the florets on top of each other, use two dishes if you need to.
- Combine the melted butter and sour cream and drop spoonfuls in the centre of each floret.
- Season with Vegeta and pepper and scatter over the pork or ham, then the grated cheese and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve hot (or cold – I love it either way)
Let me know if you tried this absolutely delicious cauliflower recipe and what you thought?
Dobar Tek! Zivjeli! (Bon Appetit! Cheers and let’s live!)