My cousin Ksenija who lives in Croatia’s Moslavina region (sandwiched between Zagreb and Slavonija) makes these stuffed pancakes all the time. She has two sons and most of the time loads of visitors that just, you know, drop in. And everyone seems to want a hot meal or a filling snack.
Enter her stuffed savoury pancakes that are perfect for using up leftover pancakes, or left over chicken. Or everything can be made specifically for this recipe. You can also change things around and use whatever leftovers you have to stuff these, just let your imagination and stomach cravings be your guide!
Ingredients (for the stuffing):
- Half a roasted chicken, with all the white meat shredded / you can also dice a large chicken breast fry this up and use it instead
- A handful of small gherkins, sliced lengthways
- One cup of grated cheese, you can use anything you have on hand like mozzarella, tasty, cheddar, gouda
- Half a cup of parmesan cheese
- 150mls of thickened cream
- 150mls sour cream
- Using the pancake recipe from our previous post, make the pancakes and have about six to seven ready for this recipe
- Pre-heat a fan forced over to 175 degrees celsius
- Layer the flat pancake, with shredded chicken, gherkins, cheese and here I added some relish just to give it a ping, but Ksenija leaves them as is.
- Wrap the filled pancake around itself and place it gently into a baking dish
- Repeat this process until all the pancakes and filling are used up
- Combine the thickened cream with the sour cream and pour between the grooves of the pancakes and sprinkle with parmesan
- Put in the oven for 35 minutes until cooked or golden brown on top with crispy ends and serve hot.
Let me know if you tried this Moslavačka sensation and what you thought?
Dobar Tek! Zivjeli! (Bon Appetit! Cheers and let’s live!)